Friday, May 2, 2014

measuring cups

"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." (Luke 6:38)


This past Sunday, our pastor talked about this verse and unfortunately, most of the time I walk out of there saying, "Oooh, that was so good" and then by Wednesday, I really couldn't tell you what the topic of last week's sermon was. I love it though, when the Lord takes it and follows me around with it throughout the week, as if to say, "I don't think you really got this... let's review..." :)  



As I look out the big picture window in our living room from the couch in the mornings, coffee in hand, mist lifting from the water... I see this planter that my parents gave me a couple of years ago (that I have yet to plant anything in....). That verse (Luke 6:38) keeps running through my mind. It speaks of generosity, but it also offers a challenge. Do you ever read a verse that maybe you've read too much? A lot of us have been raised in the church and just fade out when we get to a verse that we know and just breeze over it... Oh, I've already read this one... "Give and it shall be...... hmmmm hmmm hmmm.... something.... measured to you."  Sounds like Charlie Brown's parents in the Peanuts. :) 

But really read it with me. Give and It shall be given to you. As we mimic  Him in His generosity- He aches to bless us in return. (only a fraction of what HE does...) But then he goes on to specify what kind of giving he's talking about." A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over" I asked the Lord this week what that meant- I've definitely faded out in that part. I didn't get it. But He gave me a picture of this cup (picture above). You know in a recipe when it's calling for brown sugar and it says something about a packed cup of brown sugar? That's what this means. When you give- don't just give a cup. Make sure it's a good quality form of measurement, pack it down, then shake it down- so you can get more in and that it's running over! That blows my conception of generosity out of the water! 

Next, He talks about the size of your "generosity measuring cup" - if you will. "For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." If I told you I was going to give you a scoop of something... your favorite food, gold coins..... whatever. What kind of scoop would you be hoping I'm going to use to measure it out? I know I'd like to be using that big blue cup in the picture as the scoop as opposed to a teaspoon!! 

So, as I sit here looking at that cup- He reminds me how he wants me to give. That excites me. It doesn't even make me think of the whole "give 'till it hurts thing" I picked up somewhere, which just doesn't sound like a lot of fun. He wants me to use that big ol' mug to measure out my generosity. He wants me to pack it down, shake it down and fill it until it runs all over the table... and then give. THEN He says he's going to take the same size measuring cup (that big ol' mug) and use that as the "generosity measuring cup" that he's going to give back to you... packed down, shaken down and running all over the table.... Cool stuff, eh? 

Have a blessed Friday! Thanks for letting me share a bit of what's been on my heart this week... other than thinking about having our baby join us in around a month now! WOHOO! Cool things the Lord is doing in preparing my heart for that time with Him in labour... He's wooing me and calling me away with Him to prepare me (Hosea 2:14,15)! Would love your prayers this month as we're getting ready for this exciting season! 

Love,
Arielle


No comments:

Post a Comment